Thursday, September 9, 2010

Random Review of Tarantino's Restaurant:

Sex with a tourist is said to have (not that I know from experience) the potential to be the best sex there is. It's simple human nature to "hold back" in fear of judgment. BUT if you're never going to see that person again, one may go "balls to the walls" (not sure if I need the quotations) for that one night, and one night only. It may give a person a chance to try the wilder, more passionate, maybe even more hardcore elements that could amount to pleasure. It's like if you knew you only had one more night to live, you would do all the things that would cause you pure Ecstasy but never had the guts to try.

OR.... (not that I know) the guy may just pass out 8 minutes later and your lucky if he will wake up again at all... and your left wondering if you have a dead body on your hands, trying to remember if he was on anything other than booze, wondering if women too get conjugal visits and whether or not his family would ship his body back to his home country or just have him cremated.

Tourist restaurants are like the latter. They are not trying to overly please a single person but themselves. I mean they don't want to go out of business or anything but they are really not trying too hard. They know you will never be back anyway. The hardest part (in both scenarios) is already over once you're hungry (or drunk) and in the door. Unfortunately, just like a man's looks, the view from a restaurant makes other things bearable, if not unnoticeable. A lot of the reviews for this place are tourists raving about the food. I get it but I don't trust it. You would have to be a major bitch to be sitting at a bay side restaurant on the coast of California, miles and miles away from the farm, and be complaining about the place.

So why, having lived in San Francisco for 5 years, would I come to a tourist restaurant knowing the food won't be that great? I'm not really at liberty to say, but I went. I will admit the view was quite enjoyable to look at; this place was definitely not a grenade.

I ordered the "Bay Shrimp and Avocado Salad". The waiter came back informing me they were out of avocado. He did not really offer me anything else, it was just more like a "hey just to let you know, there will not be any". I was a bit disappointed. Let me make it clear that this was not a bay shrimp salad WITH avocado, it clearly said "AND". It implied both equal parts shrimp and avocado. I was looking forward to the avocado. I love avocado. I was still polite.

When he came back I asked, nicely, if since my (16 dollar) bay shrimp and avocado salad does not have the avocado could I get beer? I wasn't asking for a new meal, or a discount on what was surely to be a disappointment, just a beer. The waiter told me and I quote "uhh, hold on let me ask the bartender, he's the boss". I smile politely.

The waiter came back after some time. Substantially longer than what it would take to ask the question during what appeared to be an extremely slow dining hour.

Waiter: Yes. He said that would be fine.... a bottled beer.

hmmm. A bottled beer. Sure. Cheap, but sure. One time my friend was at a bar and a guy asked to buy her a drink. She accepted and he ordered their drinks. Then he turned to her after fumbling with his money and asked her for 2 dollars... and still tried chatting her up. This bottled beer gesture was somehow worse. Maybe not as desperate, but definitely more pathetic.

So, I guess you can try your luck here if you're single and it's tourist season.