Monday, May 9, 2011

A Wee Town Up North

After London, Paige and I went to Northern Ireland to see a friend.  We stayed in a small town called Hilltown in County Down. That night we went to the hotel bar on Main Street. It may be the only street in Hilltown.





 I have a fascination with small towns. I want to live in one, just for a bit.  I know I could not handle it long, but just enough to get the experience, maybe a month or so.  The reason the hotel bar was open later than normal was because the people who leased out the hotel were having a meeting upstairs with the owners to see if they could keep the place.  This was real deal Andy Griffith shit and I was there for it.  All the wives and mothers were down in the bar waiting to see if the small town folks would get their way with the big wigs.  Someone at the bar actually said I was about to witness one of the biggest historical moments in Hilltown.  The set up was spot on Little House on the Prarie and The Waltons material and I was loving every minute of it.  Well, only if Charles Ingles owned a bar not land and Mr. and Mrs. Walton were getting sauced every night after you heard "Goodnight Johnboy". An hour later the fellas came down.  An hour of waiting to see if the good people of Hilltown can keep their restraunt/bar/hotel where their heart and soul had been invested for years.  This hotel was part of Hilltown and should have been run by the people who live there...  Well fuck if I know any of this but its just what I gathered up from the locals and my imagination while taking back shots of whiskey.  Anyways, they got to keep the place! Fuck the man, up the locals and all that.  The owner had a lock in and a free bar and we all celebrated. Everything all works out, end scene, roll credits, and until next week.... I hear little Johnny falls in a well... but instead of a well it was the back alley of the bar while trying to have a slash.